A single call can save lives


I was angry with a colleague whom we had started a struggle together and he abandoned it half way. He didn’t show up to follow up with the struggle, neither did he call to inquire about it progress. This went on for some time until this week.

For some reasons, I just felt the need to call him, not to check on him per se, but to chastise him for the manner at which he had abandoned the whole thing we started together.

But unfortunately, what I met was beyond me.

I placed a call to him and when he picked up, he asked for the identity of the caller. This got me a little infuriated, so i responded angrily with my name, hoping to follow up with a critical rant, but before I utter another word, he had fired like five, ranting about his life. He sounded frustrated and depressed, more like someone tired of this life.

He began to talk about how he has forgotten if anyone like me ever existed. He said he never even remember he knew anyone like me because the issues he his dealing with had so consumed him. He narrated some of the issues and opined that he seems to be the worst person in the world.

I listened to him diligently as he thanked me repeatedly for finding time to check on him. I couldn’t tell him I didn’t call to check on him, but to chastise him. I decided to engage him about life and the many issues affecting everyone, but not forgetting to point out the several opportunities waiting for us to tap them.

It was after I had consoled him and gave him hope that he felt better and began to ask me about our joint struggle. I told him what I could and encourage him to expect better things soon.

It down on me that, no matter how angry we are with people, we should not be too angry to abandon them. No matter how terrible own situations are, let’s always try to reach out to our friends and families, if not to assist them solve their problems, but to give them a listening hear and comforting words.

Sometimes, a single call can give hope, yes; a single call can save lives.

I therefore use this opportunity to encourage us all to reach out to our people. Don’t assume they are doing well, just reach out. Don’t even assume you can’t help their situation, just reach reach out.

Mr. Right

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 facts about O TO GE slogan and the collapse of Saraki's dynasty

Why violence took place in Saraki's Community- Head of Community

If i speak, Nigeria will boil says ANN Chairman, as he frowns on party hijackers and godfathers

Breaking:ANN Expel traitors , ratify Alliance with people's trust

Lagos before Nigeria By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

Igbo is not good to be president of Nigeria?

Fact emerge, President Jonathan falsified his age